Palace of Tiškevičius – Amber Museum
The famous Amber Museum is now located in the neo-renaissance style mansion built on this estate in 1897. The museum situated in the magnificent palace in the centre of Birute Park is one of the most visited museums in the country. Museum containing one of the most abundant collections of amber inclusions and pieces in the world has about five thousand exhibits in total.
Palangos botanikos parkas
Birute Park was established in the territory of the former sacred Birute Forest and Birute Hill. At the end of 19th century, famous French architect Édouard François André prepared a project for a landscape park at the order of Tiškevičiai.
It is impossible to imagine Palanga without the Sea Pier, a place attracting everyone. At the end of the 19th century Palanga was ruled by Counts Tiškevičiai. They decided to build a dock for ships that could be used to transport bricks made in counts’ brickyard. The dock was built in 1884-1888 and vessel “Phoenix” cruised to Klaipeda and Liepaja. Since 1892, the pier became the most popular place for taking walks. The sculpture “Jūratė and Kastytis” (sculptress N. Gaigalaitė) that became another symbol of the resort was built in the nearby square in 1961.
Jonas Basanavičius street.
J. Basanavičiaus Street, one of the most popular places of holiday-makers in Lithuania. This street was formerly called Tyshkevich Street or Boulevard. Later it was called after the nation’s patriarch dr. J. Basanavičius. This is a historical part of the city where are a lot of old buildings of traditional architecture, most of them remember almost 200 years history of the resort. These are one of the oldest building complexes “Gražina”, villas “Lakštingala” and “Aldona”.
Antanas Moncys house – museum
Lithuanian artist, modernist sculptor A. Mončys lived and worked in France. Over 200 sculptures, drawings, graphic works, collages, whistles and masks that were given to Lithuania after the artists’ death are exhibited on the second floor of the museum.
Dr. Jonas Sliupas memorial house
Jonas Šliupas, a doctor and a famous public figure of the 20th century Lithuania, came to live in Palanga in 1930. Thanks to J. Šliupas, city rights were granted to Palanga and he was elected the first burgomaster of Palanga.J. Šliupas memorial exhibition was opened in his homestead in July 1989.
The beginning of the Kurhaus history is associated with earls Tiškevičiai. The big restaurant and the first resort hotel were opened by Palanga estate owner earl Juozapas Tiškevičius in the late 19th century. On 2002 Kurhaus has been destroyed by fire and after ten years reconstruction was started. In the late of 2012 reconstruction was finished and Kurhaus now is opened and ready for new concerts and performances.
The sculpture park in Palanga
The sculpture park was founded at the crossroad of Vytauto and J. Simpsono Streets in Palanga in 1982. In 2008 the park was fully renewed and a set of valuable sculptures from collections of Lithuanian Art Museum was placed here.
Members of Palanga Guild of Amber Masters demonstrate amber processing technology used for processing a simple piece of amber to a fully crafted jewel in their amber processing workshops.
In the summer, the new fountain entertains visitors with the dance of music, light and water. One can select a favourite melody from a special playlist for a fountain to dance to by SMS message. The price for a song to be performed by a dancing fountain is 3 euro.
It is the only specialised arthropods zoo in Lithuania. Up to 100 species of arthropods are being exhibited in this unique zoo. Working only During the summer season (15 May – 15 September)
Is a private V & V Kusas’ souvenir dog collection, containing close to 2000 exhibits from 37 countries of the world and made of 22 different materials.
Church of the Iverskaya Icon of the Mother of God in Palanga
The Russian Orthodox parish was founded in Palanga in 1995. The church complex was designed by a Penza architect Dmitry Borunov. Construction of the church was completed in 2001.
Palanga evangelical lutheran parish
Evangelic Lutheran Parish of Palanga was founded at the beginning of 19th century. In 2005 the bishop M. Sabutis consecrated the cornerstone of the church. Project was prepared by Irena and Gintas Likšai.
The Most Holy Virgin Mary’s Ascension church in Palanga
The Most Holy Virgin Mary’s Ascension Church in Palanga was built more than hundred years ago and attracts almost every gaze of the passers-by with its neo-gothic beauty and greatness. There are also something to be admired inside: an impressive pulpit and three skilfully made marble altars decorated with bas-reliefs brought from France. The central altar bears the image of Mary Mother of God mentioned as early as in the 17th century. The other two wooden altars situated in the side naves were brought from the former wooden church.
Evangelic lutheran parish in Butinge
In 1822 basement for the stone church was layed next to the Butinge estate. In 1824 the church was consecrated.
Exile and resistance museum
It is a small museum in the centre of Palanga resort. Here you can find information and visit the exposition of historically tragic but also extremely important period in Lithuania.
Samogitian Sanctuary (Žemaičių alkas).
This is the pagan sanctuary with paleoastronomic observatory that stood on Birute Hill in Palanga in the 15th century and was restored in 1988.